PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas to introduce AWA'a
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2006, 00:35
Pappa Smurf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive been on an AWA for 10 years now-no problems so far.
I didnt have to sign and a lot of union die-hards didnt,not to start with,but eventually either left or signed on.
If wages and conditions were the same then not many would have signed but we got the carrot dangled with about 10% more money.
If your currently employed by a company all goes along normal.

You will find all AWA,s offered are the same--not going in one by one to try and negotiate a wage.

This is for new employees,especially ones with experience and multi skilling.
If the market is flooded then it will be min. starting wage,like it or lump it.
The minimum being what is currently the starting wage.

Not a 100% sure but i think a 4th year AME is on more than a 1st year one.Dont know how aircrew etc work.

as an example a 4th year AME jumps ship for another mob on an equal pay scale.His AWA offered will be of a 1st year AME.He can accept or negotiate.

Being a large company with wages vaying so much they may have different levels.
stratum 1 for the lowest earners-base salary ?
up the straum 4 for pilots--base salary ?

Base salary is 8-5 mon to fri workers
then the add ons---weekend rosters ,12 hour shifts,diiferent type ratings etc

In other words ,what ya get now.
They will throw in a few sneakies,probably the likes of if a plane is 1 hour late landing then you dont get paid for it but will probably have an allowance for such things that some will gain on and others will lose--luck of the draw.

Read it ,get advise from a lawyer.

From a company point of view they dont have to worry about strikes etc which qantas dont have many anyway.
Another advantage for them is timekeeping--not working out hours worked ,benefits etc ,just sending out your monthly cheque as per your agreement.
So poor old timekeeping will get rid of about 80% of personel.

Time will tell i suppose