PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GULF---MEDICAL AND MONEY
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2006, 19:22
EKBird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gulf Air -vs- Emirates

Hiya All,
I spent 4 years with Gulf Air based in Bahrain then moved onto Emirates for a further 4 years based in Dubai. I have to say that if I had to choose between living in Bahrain or Dubai again, I'd pick Bahrain, without a doubt, and from everyone that I have spoken to that has spent a substantial amount of time in both places, 99.9% have agreed with me. Bahrain might be smaller but much friendlier, caring and more family orientated. Yeah, it is limited as far as clubs and pubs are concerned but once you've established yourself with a good group of friends, you tend to have BBQs and house parties. Probably not the scene for the younger generation so I suppose if it's partying you're after, then Dubai is what you're looking for. Saying that, I found Dubai to be fake and superficial. Most people out for what they can get regardless of who they chew up and spit out in the process. Sorry if that offends any of you but I'm just not the type to put up with that c**p. As far as salary and accommodation is concerned, I have to side with Emirates. I was earning on average about 500 pounds a month more with Emirates plus the destinations and layovers are alot better. Saying that, I worked alot harder. The apartment I had in Dubai was gorgeous, massive 3 bedroom, balconies all round, sea view, swimming pool (tiny), jaccuzzi, gym & under cover parking. Not all EK buildings are as nice as the one I was in but in general, are pretty decent. My building in Bahrain was very small and not in the most savoury of areas, but never the less, it felt like home.
There are definitely pro's and con's to both airlines and both countries but if I had to choose one to do all over again, Bahrain & Gulf Air would win hands down. Friendlier, more fun & felt more like home. Just my opinion for what it's worth.