PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VMC descent and Visual Approach
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2006, 13:42
2 sheds

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by discountinvestigator
So, under the laws of the land, if you are on approach to Heathrow in Class A airspace, with full ATC service, IFR in IMC (and add a bit of night in for the hell of it), it would appear that the pilots have full responsibility to give way to the aircraft from their left (sic!!).
Discount

I would have thought that pilot responsibility in an ATC situation was demonstrated frequently, e.g. in a circuit scenario or in the ground movement scenario if ATC has not informed an aircraft that another is holding but otherwise appears to be conflicting.

I would be slightly more impressed with the other assertions if there were some quoted authority or precedent. What exactly is the authority (or relevance) of the list of controllers' responsibilities ("a point of law")? The reference to the "holding point" v "holding position" episode seems to be quite irrelevant to the particular argument and, from what I recall, is actually a good example of ATCOs rising as one and getting SRG to get a formal grip on events.

Which leads on to the remarks about various MATS Pt 2 - if they are so lacking, perhaps you should be directing some of this criticism and advice to SRG - who approve those documents.

Meanwhile, back at this thread, what is your answer to the original post?