PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ANYTHING having to do with Emirates Applications
Old 24th Aug 2006, 06:44
Michaelsen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congratulations

Hei,

Parabens and welcome to Dubai .
I loved your message, thanks for all details regarding the assessment day in Rio. Do you mind if I ask just some more details about the English test? I'm not a native speaker and that's why I'm a little bit afraid, what should I study?

Thanks and sorry to bother you again.

Best wishes

Originally Posted by amowers
Hi everyone!!

This message board helped me out soooo much when I was preparing myself for the assessment day so I thought I would share my own experience with you all and hopefully help someone else in return. If you have any questions, let me know!

The assessment day was long and more stressful than I originally anticipated. We had to be there at 8:30 sharp and we waited around for a while for some late comers (even though they said they wouldnt allow people who came late to enter) I guess there were 20 no-shows, which is the most the one recruiter said she ever saw. So there was a lot less competition for us, which is always good. hehe. At around 9:30 or so we finally got started. The recruiters were two women, Marina from Australia and Sally from Britain, they were wonderful, very kind and friendly. They made the day enjoyable, at least. We started off by watching a movie that the crew had made and then they asked us if we had any questions. Lots of people had questions, so that part lasted a while. After that, we were all given a reference number.

After that, we had the first round of group activities. There were about 40 of us in total and we were split into two groups by our reference numbers. Then we had to talk to the person on our left and find out there favorite travel destination, favorite past-time and their most embarassing moment. Then we had to talk to the person on our right and tell them our answers to the same questions. From there, everyone introduced the person on their left. After that we had another group activity. We were told we had to choose three people to nominate for the Nobel Peace Prize and we couldnt vote, we had to figure it out as a group. My group worked really well together and we came up with three in no time - there was no arguing and we all agreed on all points. Then I had to present at the end. They seemed to be looking for those who spoke and listened at the same time and worked well in the team, rather than actually paying attention to your answers. However, I remember one girl specifically who never said a word and she continued on. I think they mostly eliminated people for their English skills, to be honest, if they couldnt speak well enough. On thing I thought was interesting is that alllllllllllll the girls except me crossed their legs, which I read on here was a big no-no. It didnt seem to have any negative effect on their success.

After that, we were asked to leave the room. When we returned, they told us that they were sorry if we had to leave and not to ask them any questions. At the back of the room, they had letters laid out on a table with everyones reference number and we picked them up and had to read whether we made it or not outside. We said goodbye to those who werent successful and those who made it through went back into the room.

After that we had the English test. I already wrote a post about it with more details. I cant say if the test was hard or easy, as I am a native speaker. But two people failed, and the girl was surprised that only 2 failed. It really weeds people out, so they say. The company has high standards for English. I dont mean that to scare you, just make sure you take some extra classes in the few weeks before the assessment day. We were given an hour to do the test and could leave for lunch if we finished early. They gave us a half hour for lunch -- There was no food provided, we left the hotel and all ate together at a restaurant.

When we returned, we were again told to get our letters from the back of the room and say goodbye to those who were unsuccessful. When we got back into the room, we were split up into groups of 5 and 6. My group had to come up with the five most important qualities we would be looking for if we had to recruit 10 people to work in a video game, childrenīs restaurant. We worked together well and came up with those five qualities fairly easily. From there, they asked us to decide on how we would figure out whether the candidates had those skills or not. And then we had to say how else we would eliminate people if we had 150 eligible candidates with all our five skills and we only needed ten employees.

After that, we left the room again for about 15 minutes and then we came back and another 2 people were eliminated. We then were told that we had made it through to the final interview. We chose our times for the final interview and she gave us a little booklet with some forms to fill out and explanations about what we needed to wear, bring, etc to the interview. That took another hour or so, I imagine. It felt like forever. Then we all wrote the Psychometric exam, which is exactly how people have said it was -- Like 180 questions or something, 170 of them questions about your personality, no right or wrong answer, and 10-15 questions based on figuring out patterns, etc, with a right answer.

After that, we were free to go and that was it! I have my final interview on Friday so I cant say too much about that yet. Lets just say my fingers are crossed and so are my husbands, since he managed to make it through to the end with me, believe it or not. I still cant believe we both made it through!