PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Whats Happening in the Torres Straits
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2006, 04:25
gulliBell

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by benq
When you hear 4 out of 7 highly experienced ATPL Command Instument Rated Pilots leaving a company, something is not right
Something may not be right, but it has to be understood here that it's their train set and ultimately they can do with it what they want. There's no point saying that the management is this or that, or to bluntly point out the error of their policies, or to say the tender rates are too low, or whatever; the beancounters (as always) are those who are listened to, and the beancounters have shown it is cheaper for the company to keep salaries down and accept a high staff turnover.

The proposal that the boys sit down for half a day to discuss options is interesting, I gotta tell you that when you shoot yourself in the foot chances are you'll go lame, or walk around in circles. Also pointless getting AFAP to take them on (not that I have heard that suggested yet), because I figure AH are probably paying the minimum Award rates in which case there is no case. But if they are paying less than Award or EBA rates then take them to the cleaners. But be warned, anyone contemplating taking their employer through this process will end up with their name in the little black book, and many other doors elsewhere will be closed.

So to disgruntled staff anywhere (speaking generally) might better look at it this way: get out of it what you can, take pride in the fact that you're doing your best, and then move on when a better opportunity presents itself. Get the extra rating or endorsement, or get those extra hours that you need, or get the time in to demonstate a stable employment history, and bank the pittance that they pay you until you find the better alternative.

So hang in there guys, more and more vets are retiring every week so opportunities for progression are becoming more plentiful.

Last edited by gulliBell; 25th Aug 2006 at 11:06.