PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2006, 22:39
WE Branch Fanatic

Received 42 Likes on 20 Posts
orca I'm not trying to be awkward, but didn't one or two Sea Harrier guys from the Falklands state that it would have been difficult to operate in those extreme sea states etc if they were operating conventional carrier aircraft? Does that mean anything to you, or were they just saying what the audience wanted? Would modern landing aids make a difference?

Also how much of an advantage is it to be able to land on a ship other than a carrier? A Shar landed aboard Fearless in 1982, another accidentally landed on a Spanish freighter, have there been others? Interesting to note that being able to receive a Sea Harrier in an emergency was part of the specification for the Fort class AORs of the RFA.

Also what if CVF is an austere place?

But surely the RAF wants the F35B for the austere conditions capability offered by a V/STOL aircraft (cf current operations in the 'Stan), and since it will be joint force, the RN will get the same. I suspect that Their Lordships dare not protest, lest the RAF refuses to co-operate, which would threaten CVF altogether.

ORAC what will the USN use for AAR after the Viking retires? Anyone ever thought of a tanker built on the Hawkeye airframe? If you can build a COD.....

Jacko's mention of carrier trials by an Islander (or was it defender?) has given me a (rather dubious) idea. Why not use it as a carrierborne tanker to complement FSTA? In fact why not develop it as FSTA light - to refuel Merlin HC3 and Chinook Mk3s ashore as well as CVF borne assets? Maybe thats what the trials were for? Tinfoil hat time.

With regards to all these matters we need less talk and more action.

Last edited by WE Branch Fanatic; 23rd Aug 2006 at 23:19.