PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC Slot Nazis at PMI
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2001, 16:15
160to4DME

Obviously, I wasn't there, and we don't know the full facts, BUT, if ATC are of the opinion that they would not be able to get you away before slot expiry, then they are obliged to refuse you permission to start.

There's a wonderful (NOT) piece of Big Brother equipment in the flow centre which monitors slot adherance, and an ATCO will soon hear from them if they regularly exceed slot tolerances. Sadly, we are deprived nowadays of the ability to use discretion to let you thru the net if it's looking a little tight.

Therefore, as a possible defence to the hard working Nazi Ground COntroller at PMI, I can only suggest there were numerous aircraft already started, possibly a queue at the hold (could you see the hold from your stand, or were you in one of the cul-de-sacs), or there might have been an additional flow rate imposed on the sectors.

If any of these were a factor in his/her decision, is it not cheaper and far less embarrasing to be held on stand than get to the hold only to be told your slot has expired and must return to the ramp ??

Whatever the reason, believe me, there is not a single sane ATCO in the world who will deliberately take any action which will keep an aircraft on their frequency longer than is absolutely necessary.

[This message has been edited by 160to4DME (edited 06 May 2001).]

[This message has been edited by 160to4DME (edited 06 May 2001).]