PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2006, 19:07
Brian Dixon
A really irritating PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cazatou,

Just remember that the requirement was that Reviewing Officers be in no doubt that negligence was a cause (although not necessarily the sole cause) of the accident.
Where is that written down?

I thought that the requirement was that "Only in cases in which there is absolutely no doubt whatsoever should deceased aircrew be found negligent", as per AP3207 - RAF Manual of Flight Safety, Chapter 8, Appendix G, Page 9

Doesn't say anything about Reviewing Officers being judge and jury, or being selective about what fits, and doesn't fit their theory.

What is clear is that at some point the aircraft entered cloud, which the pilots had been warned to expect, and that it did so well below safety altitude, at high speed and heading for high ground.
I agree, apart from the use of the word 'high' before speed. Otherwise the aircraft would not have impacted with the ground.

As they approached land the pilots should have been aware that their visibility was about to reduce significantly.
One would hope so. At least one of them should have been looking out of the window.

The finding of negligence is based on the incontrovertible fact that they failed to take any avoiding action.
Why did they? I'm very interested in your answer to this one!

My best, as always.
Brian

"Justice has no expiry date" - John Cook