PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Parliamentary Questions concerning Hercules Safety
Old 23rd Aug 2006, 18:45
Blodwyn Pig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HrkDrvr
I doubt this - they may have an early H wing, but the E wings haven't been produced by Lockheed since 1972 & I'm fairly confident (although could be misinformed) that the Ks all were re-winged in the late-70s, early-80s.

However, much of this information is second-hand (re: timing of K re-winging), so I'm happy to be corrected.

The SF mini-fleet is on their second set of H wings AFAIK...

Most of this info came to light immediately following the loss of 179 & the rampant speculation RE: fatigue & the subsequent highly coincidental grounding/restricting of US Hercules w/in a matter of weeks...

having worked on all the wings in question, i assure i'm correct (hope i don't sound to pompous!).
when the fleet were re-winged, only the planks were changed, and the wings re-fitted.
there are only 2 K's flying with H model wings (easily identifyable by the extenal drain pipes between nacelle and wing plank.), these wings are the same as the J wings, and have a different fuel pick up system inside.