PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - English Test for ATCOS
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2006, 13:21
Passenger 9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Know what you're talking about, unless you've been missinformed !

Guy D'ageradar Says:-
Originally Posted by Guy D'ageradar
Had to sit mine a few months ago - what a load of b******s! As usual, Skyguide has come up with their own method of testing - all nicely prepared by German speakers who only know English as a second language. Result, several (multiple choice) questions WITH MULTIPLE CORRECT ANSWERS!!! Pointing this out after the test, I was informed that "this is normal for the anglophones" and that there was no problem. Pity that I passed really, I was hoping for a few weeks back home to brush up in the pub!
ZRH says:-
Originally Posted by ZRH
The english test in Switzerland was computer based and a bit of a farce in my opinion. Multiple guess with multiple answers. Very grammar orientated. You had to basically select a word or a sequence of words to insert into a sentence.
There were a total of 50 questions with 5 answers to choose from per question.
The average was around 33 or so.
Point 1.
The test these two Swiss kontrollers had to do was not, I Say Again NOT, in any way shape and form, an Englisch test to assess them for the ICAO requirements. That is still comming. The eurocontrol test in 2007.

Point 2.
Yes it is "a load of b******s!" and "computer based and a bit of a farce".
Thats cause it has been organised by someone who has no idea what they are meant to be doing or how to organize.

Point 3.
The people who have been sitting this skyguide test have also not been correctly informed about what this test is about.

Point 4.
skyguide had chance a couple of years ago to be ahead in this department, but due department managers with little knowledge of ATC, lacking communication skill, and a lack of appretiation of how big this testing thing really is, did little as possible to help things along the right way. Having wrong kind of people placed in charge of project of this importance does not help.

Now listen up skyguide controllers. You will be doing a real test, from eurocontrol, which you have to pass, or you do not get to talk to pilots.
Its as simple as that. If you want to know what the test will be like ask eurocontrol.

Even better; in Switzi nearly all swiss pilots private to commercial know nothing about the standard thay will have to make. Yes balloon and glider pilot too if they want to fly in kontrolled air space.

Me, Passenger 9; My English is not perfekt, but I hope to pass what ever test the FOCA/BAZL give me. If they have one

So be good you kontroller types and I will be a good passenger 9 and tell you if I dont understand you

Last edited by Passenger 9; 24th Aug 2006 at 08:02.