PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How many Easy Jet Applications ????????
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2002, 22:18
Jumbo Jockey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMHO Dirty Harry has a very good point here. Like him, incidentally, the following comments are not motivated by sour grapes, since I've never applied to easyJet. However I have been amazed by the "easyJet selection process" stories I have heard from pilots I've flown with lately, and I believe that for easyJet's own good they desperately need a dose of common sense injecting into their hiring programme - before they reject too many more good people..... .. .Lots of pilots in my company were given leaving dates with varying degrees of immediacy in the aftermath of 9/11 and our Chief Pilot (who's matey with his opposite number in EZY) apparently put in a good word for our lot - an excellent bunch of chaps and chapesses, a truckload, in fact, of experienced, jet-qualified, already-psychometrically-tested pilots who had been honing their airline-crew skills flying heavy jet airliners around a large portion of the globe until they found themselves suddenly on the wrong side of a line on our seniority list. Officially, EZY's response was to warmly welcome this opportunity and praise our airline's reputation for the excellence and professionalism of its pilots. So how did EZY go about availing themselves of this offer? By making them all go through the entire nauseating selection process - group exercise, logic tests, the whole nine yards. And some, sure enough, have failed - despite it being blindingly obvious to anyone who had the good fortune to fly with them that these individuals are GOOD AIRLINE PILOTS (sorry to shout).. .. .Logic tests and building stuff in a group out of lego or whatever it was are, I'm sure, handy things to assess young people whom you are considering for ab-initio sponsorship, but look here - these people typically had a couple of years and a thousand hours or more as second-in-command of a large jet airliner, being exposed to the various situations which tend to come your way in that time. I think that's enough to earn you the right to bypass this nonsense, don't you? If they were short in the logic or getting-on-with-a-crew departments, they wouldn't have been able to stay the course in a long-haul crew in my opinion.. .. .EZY, your selection procedure is wasting you a lot of time and money. How have we reached this bizarre situation where the people who consider themselves best-qualified to assess pilots, are not pilots?. .. .There, that's a load off my chest!