PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How much do helicopter pilots earn?
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2005, 17:33
Hairyplane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying for peanuts

Nice one FL, 'protect us all from the nasty man who doesn't agree we should all earn £100k a year.'

Lets all stick our fingers in our ears and repeat, 'La La La La....' - you know how it goes - when somebody has the audacity to suggest an alternative.

In fact, London Transport will probably pay you more money to drive a bus.

Recently hospitalised, my Senior Registrar complained that he could earn more money as a plumber.

You do need to do a few sums to be a professional pilot so work this one out -

1. Boeing: £25Million+?
2. Pilots earning, say £50k a year
3. Maintenance.
4. Fuel
5. 1000 other big buck costs
6. Plummeting fares

What is the only thing above that an employer can save on in order to make more profit/ be more competitive?

I have just booked some BA flights for £13.50 plus taxes. Madness. The joke is that I would have been perfectly happy to have paid a lot more. In fact to have paid the right price .

I have a lot of pilot friends, many of whom have got well paid jobs. Howeverthey ain't youngsters.

I think its a travesty that pilots aren't paid more. However, I bet we aren't far off a situation where young co-pilots will need to pay the employer in return for the experience.

They will then need to add the cost of a years salary to their training loans.

Pie in the skie maybe. Hopefully it will never happen. Watch this space though....

Supply of pilots exceeds demand. Pity the poor recently qualified doctors who cant get a job either. You guys aint alone. Nobody owes you a living either.

If you succeed in making one out of it - hurrah for you.

More personal insults expected from the voice of the poor hard done pilots.

HP