PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How much do helicopter pilots earn?
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2005, 08:48
Hairyplane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get real...

FL's assertion that PPL's like me simply 'potter around and thus don't achieve the aviation fulfilment of a professional pilot' is amusing. I'm sure you don't really mean that?!

I have been flying for 30 years and have many airline pilot friends.

It seems that the first few years are simply wonderful. However, as they get older and want to spend more time with their family - especially if they are on wife no.2 or 3 as many airline pilots are - the dissatisfaction with the odd hours, days away from home and tiredness increases.

Also, work for anybody else and your earning potential is predictable. However, take the risks, suffer the sleepless nights, believe in what you are doing, dread the phone ringing when you are fairly certain it will be a supplier you havent paid as opposed to a customer - all those things - then you may well end up with a few bob to enjoy flying for flyings sake.

As an employer, I will pay the least I can for the skill. In my sector I pay top dollar. If I wanted to employ a pilot and peanuts were acceptable then thats the market rate - sorry but true.

Pilots have chosen a career that, for the moment anyway, is oversubscribed. That alone dictates the wages.

Its all going downhill too - check out the pay and pensions of 10 years ago, especially in BA. Check out your pension deal ( if you have one) now compared to then.

If my post merely serves to invoke jealousy then all I will say is, 'I took the risks - you can too'.

I started my own business 10 years ago in my forties. I was completely potless then.

I could have become a professional pilot, regretted it for a while and now, looking back am chuffed to bits that I didnt.

I also know that post 55 I havent got to rely on a pension. Theres a can of worms.......

How big is the shortfall in your scheme? Are you worried about it? You aren't at 25 but you sure need to worry about it 30 years later.

Pottering around in my gorgeous vintage flying machines when I feel like it as opposed to getting up in the middle of the night to fly Club 18-30 to Ibiza - I know what I rather do.

It is of course true that some do land some plum jobs in aviation. They are the lucky ones. Chances are you'll end up flying the 'kiss me quicks' who paid more to park their car than they did for their flight.

I wish anybody embarking on a career in aviation the best of luck. You'll need it.

HP