PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How much do helicopter pilots earn?
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2005, 17:23
Droopystop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To clarify my position.

I never indicated that a suitably qualified and experienced pilot should not receive a decent wage. That wage should be adjusted to allow for location and role. What constitutes a decent wage is contentious and we all have our views on what it should be. I personaly don't believe that pilots can demand the pay that certain professionals command - we don't work hard enough.

I would dearly love to see aviation be more selective early on. It would prevent many dissillusioned wannabees with big debts, no hours and no job. It might have even prevented me from doing what I do now, but at least I could be flying for fun as suggested by Hairyplane.

What is interesting is what Hummingfrog says about the lack of "qualified" (I think you meant experienced - they wouldn't be there without the right qualifications) pilots in the NS. All the NS companies have taken on self improvers over the last few years and it is interesting that they do not seem to be making the grade. Reason enough to make the training more demanding at an early stage.