PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How much do helicopter pilots earn?
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2005, 17:21
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nakamichie fan
The 'anti lawyer' stuff is occasionally a little frustrating, but it doesn't bother me. Having been a lawyer for a long time, I'm used to it - I've got no illusions that the legal profession will ever do well in the popularity stakes.
I think Pprune is an amazing website and the talent on this forum in particular is truly outstanding. I've always found professional pilots to be extremely helpful when I've wanted advice and I try to give something back from my area of expertise when I can.

Droopystop
Thank you, but there's really no need to apologise as far as I'm concerned. I've enjoyed the discussion. I still don't see how/why you rate timeserved tradesmen above professional pilots, but we can agree to differ on that.

Gymble
If you're trolling, you do it extremely well. When some people cast bait, it's very obvious.
In your case, I find it difficult to tell if you're just having fun on the internet or whether you really are in real life an unpleasant individual who exploits people and derives great pleasure from doing so.

Hairyplane
I meet many professional pilots (airline/corporate, fixed-wing/helicopters) during the course of my work and have a number of friends who are professional pilots. They sometimes mention things they don't like about their jobs, but I can't remember one of them ever saying he doesn't enjoy the most crucial thing about his job, even after many years in the industry - flying.
My clear impression is that the answer to your question is that very few would do something different if they had their time over. There was a thread about this some time ago. As I recall, the overwhelming majority of helicopter pilots said they'd do it again.
"I can fly my 4 fixed wing aircraft ( and shortly my new R44) when I want to."
Good for you. 4 f/w's and not only an R44, but a new R44! Gosh, you must be very rich. I'm sure everyone will be as impressed as I am that you've told us that.
"Why is it also that so many retired airline pilots are grouchy old gits? I reckon they missed something in their lives."
I haven't noticed they are but, if you're right, perhaps what they're missing is the flying.
"All I would say is, 'If you are passionate about flying theres nothing better than to enjoy your passion when you alone want to. There are other paths to aviation fulfilment and certainly more money for the essentials in life."
If you think that, all I'd say is that you obviously don't understand the enormous gulf between private flying and operating an aircraft as a professional pilot. Pottering around as a PPL may be sufficient for some of us, but it's unlikely to provide fulfilment for anyone who has serious aviation aspirations.
"Want a job flying me and my staff ( 35 lovely ladies) around in the new R44? Its yours.
You want paying?
I'll have a deal with you. I wont charge you for the priviledge - get a job evenings and weekends to pay the mortgage and your £50k training loan off.
I bet I get lots of offers.
Did it give you a nice warm smug feeling to post that in a forum where the majority of people are professional pilots who don't earn anything like the amount you do? And where some are newly-qualifed with massive loans to repay but can't find a job?
"The path to success in your own business is tough but the rewards are far greater than you can ever dream of as a pilot."
That's undoubtedly true, and I'm sure they already knew that.
Such a shame so many self-made businessmen who've made a lot of money tend to be, like you, so boastful and flash about it.
But of course, there's one thing no amount of money can buy - as you demonstrate so well.