PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How much do helicopter pilots earn?
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2005, 00:30
tommacklin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went to university too, what a f*&^%ng week that was.

There are some very interesting points of view in this thread and some very funny comments on the first page but I can't help feeling that there is a major factor being overlooked.

I, like many 10 year olds at their first airshow, just wanted to be a pilot. I never really grew out of that but the dream died away as reality set in. I became an engineer and soon realised that actually, I could possibly become a pilot. I went for it and here I sit many years later having enjoyed every second.

The point I'm getting at is that most of us fly because it was something to which we were attracted, not something that we went into to make a pile of money. For many of us it has been a second career and we didn't give up the first to make money, we gave it up to fly.

Making a fair salary is essential to self-fulfilment but how do you define "fair".

There is a clear structure within helicopter aviation, the more demanding jobs pay better salaries and the more determined and professional pilots get those jobs, its just like any other profession. Some of you guys need to stop whining and give yourself a career assessment. If you want one of those higher paid jobs, work at it and make it happen. If you can't live with your current lot, do something about it, go back to school and become qualified for the profession that will provide the salary you want. If you are unhappy, do something.

Pilots' desire to fly is a huge driving force in this industry, that is never going to change. Comparing ourselves with other professionals in order to establish where you fit into the social or professional structure is just comical.

Incidentally, I make less money now than I did 10 years ago, but I still have a plan and I still love going to work every day. When that changes, I'll do something else.