PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How much do helicopter pilots earn?
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2005, 22:06
Whirlygig

Hovering AND talking

Location: Propping up bars in the Lands of D H Lawrence and Bishop Bonner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Lawyers are only paid so much because they work in a subsidised industry"
I was once asked in my first year Accountancy exams Economics paper to explain why judges are paid more than teachers. My answer was that "judges are paid paid more than teachers so that they are not susceptible to bribes". I failed! Why? ....er something to do with Macroeconomics and Supply & Demand, I believe.

I find all this slightly amusing in my slightly intoxicated state when I have a degree in Rocket Science (OK, BSc(Hons) London 2:2 Nuclear Physics) and am a Chartered Accountant and am currently wading through CPL ground school.

I would also like to add that in order to get my Chartered status, I had to have a degree at 2:2 or above and then go on to do another 3 years studying and training (minimum). In my case four years, but then, as I said, I failed economics. In the UK therefore, 6 years total for Chartered Accountant (they ain't fussed in which subject), 5 years for a doctor, 7 years for a vet, 6 years for a solicitor.

And... I would also like to add that there is a professional requirement upon me, governed my my Institute, to undertake a certain amount of professional training each year. If I don't, I could lose my qualification. This amounts to about 50 hours per annum of "classroom" work!

Whatever my gripes about the JAA exams (and there are many), they are far easier in comparison to the other two "qualifications" that I have. Just my view.

Cheers

Whirls

Droopystop - there are many accountants who get to learn about the nature of the business in which they work; I just wish that there were as many "operatives" who would take the time to understand the finances!