PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How much do helicopter pilots earn?
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2005, 15:31
Hummingfrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Droopystop

I had a good laugh at your last post!!

Lawyers are only paid so much because they work in a subsidised industry - what was the last legal aid bill - £2 billion+ out of a total tax take of £487Billion. Take away legal aid and lawyers pay would plummet.

Accountants can only see the price of something not its value - my company has recently given volunteer redundancy to some pilots as the accountants said we had lost a contract so didn't need the pilots, however, the next day operations offered them all contract work as we are short of pilots!!!!

"Those few earn good money and rightly so (especially since those types of jobs invariably mean antisocial hours and hostile environments)."

When did you last see an accountant or lawyer in a hostile environment working anti social hours (try a rig radar approach down to 200ft and 3/4nm in a 55kt wind on Xmas Day?)

Doctors and Design engineers I have no problem with.

In the offshore industry I work in, I value myself above lawyers and accountants but on a par with Docs and engineers as we, all do jobs, which benefit others.

After all if there were no lawyers and accountants would the world stop - no (in fact would we notice). Without Docs, you may die and without pilots to fly the workers and engineers to get the oil out you would be living in a cold house and have to walk to work. (Alternatively, hire a lawyer to carry you on his back )

To be a pilot I went through a stiff selection (300+ applicants for 6 RAF cadetships) and out of my course 50% failed.

HF
(I also have a BSc Eng)