PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How much do helicopter pilots earn?
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2005, 21:02
RotorSwede

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The pilot profession

Been reading this thread and felt like I wanted to make a contribution.

In Sweden, where I'm from, it would not take 15 months to become a fully trained, unexperienced pilot. Not in a long shot. Somewhere between 24 and 36 months is a more realistic estimation of time.

PPL theori, PPL flyinglessons, PPL exams, PPL checkride, PIC time, ATPL theori, CPL flyinglessons, ATPL exams, CPL checkride, typeratings (for example R44 and B206L) to be able to start IR flyinglessons, IR-flyging lessons, IR checkride. Add to this all the canceled flights because of bad weather, the few exams you have to do again and technical problems with the a/c. It soon adds up.

So, in my world 15 months is out of the question. Since Sweden is member of JAA this should go for most JAA countries.

In Sweden the cost of this education would be 130 000 US$. This is about 5 times what a the typical swedes makes in a year (and then you have to pay tax on top of that). It is probably the most expensive education you can take.

More expensive than studying to be a doctor of medicin (even if that eduction is 5-7 years), much more expensive than a bachelor of science or bachelor of engineering or lawyer. The cost of an education generally reflects on the pay.

So the comparisson some people make in this thread about electricians beeing having a more qualified work is nonsens. An electrician education is a high school education

To this Mr Gymble: What is your name and what company do you work for ?

Best regards

RotorSwede