PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying over London: Heli-lanes etc
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2005, 12:55
headsethair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Letsby: as you appear to operate from Scotland, I can only assume that you have reacted to a third party telling you something that may have happened. And I'm pretty certain you will be aware that evidence along those lines is not proof.
Sky reacted very quickly to the initial news that the tube system was suffering power spikes. They were flying over London before the TRA was even established.
By lunchtime a "sort-of" TRA was established - not under police control and NATS seemed to be unaware of its existence. But everyone respected it and the 3 media helicopters operated from the edges of the TRA. It is an enormous piece of airspace, so there is no way that any traffic can "get in the way" of the emergency services.
I have close experience of the attitude some Police ASUs have towards the media helicopters. They regard them as an annoyance. Only last week at G8, a colleague was told by a police observer that media helicopters get in the way of AWACs planes. According to the police the AWAC was at 10500. The G8 TRA topped at 3500 - so any media helicopter would be at 3600. In the way ? And police helis aren't ?
The public pay serious money for emergency services and police operations - they have a right to see how that money is spent. At times like last Thursday, with immense confusion emanating from ALL corners, the public needed clear information. They needed a feeling of security. So, some live shots from a tv helicopter showing what was really happening would at least serve the public with some truth above the confusion.
Dp you really know that Sky "got in the way" or are you simply redigging the ditch that the police have put between themselves and the media ?