PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crew/aircraft ratio
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2002, 19:13
Mr Benn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At Air 2000 pre-September 11th crewing ratios were being increased. I believe we had approx. 397 pilots and operated 28 aircraft (=7 crews per aircraft). We made some pilots redundant and then asked some of them back, ending up with around 21 redundancies. Currently the company is planning on 31 aircraft for this summer, and says it needs 30 additional pilots. So I guess that'll be 397-21+30 =406. Except I think its a bit less if you take into account those people who have resigned in the last few weeks.. .Lets say 406 though. 406/31 = 13. So around 6.5 crews per aircraft.. .Those 30 additional for the summer are on a summer only contract and include some JMC pilots "on loan".. .. .What is the ratio currently at JMC?. .. .We also had our Scheduling Agreement "terminated due to exceptional circumstances" post September 11th. Now that we are back in normal operating (some would say better, being that we have 3 more aircraft than last summer) the company has decided not to reintroduce the SA as was but to try to find a way around it. (Cynics amongst us might say, no SA = less crews required). Many of the pilots I have spoken to have been operating not far away from the legal maximum hours IN WINTER MONTHS and we are keeping a close tab on flying hours per 28 days. . .Lets just say an interesting summer lies ahead.