PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2006, 19:43
walter kennedy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arthur Rowe
<< cazatou
In your post 2557 of 15 August 06 you refer to the position of the lighthouse being 'misplotted'. Could you explain what you mean by this - on which chart was it misplotted? What is the significance of this?>>

When I stood with the lighthouse keeper and observed a helo come from the sea and turn (almost overhead) to continue at low level up the coast, he said “they do that all the time” and he pointed to a prominent rock which he explained was where they always crossed before doing their turn up the coast – it was just a bit south of the light house and the turning point was just a bit inland of the lighthouse.
As the lighthouse was residential at that time, it may be that there was consideration of the residents in not beating up the lighthouse by turning right over it – seems reasonable?
To my reckoning, this usual turning point would have had the same coordinates as waypoint A – plot waypoint A on a 1:50,000 OS map and you will see what I mean.
Therefore I say that they were not slack in entering the lighthouse coordinates but that they had entered a regular turning point for that location – and why was this suggestion that they had made an error left unchallenged for so long when someone else must have done this leg before? Seems to fit a pattern of painting them as slack, reckless, etc..