PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R44 fatal accident - tail boom failure?
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2006, 03:56
13snoopy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HELOFAN
I am saddened to see any loss of life, always sympathies to all those affected.
Also Saddened to see helo's down but worse to see another Robinson involved.
Is it just that we are getting tunnel visioned and focused on the Robinson that we are not seeing or taking notice of other small helo's like the Schweizer or are they simply just not crashing as often.
I am not seeing it. I am not seeing student involved crashes or experienced pilot crashes in the S300, not 47.
What am I missing?
I have tried to be silent with this issue but I cant hold back from commenting anymore & for that I applogise ahead of time.
Where can stats like comparisons or even reports showing say ( this is gonna open up the can ) the ammount of Schweizers crashed since in service & numbers in service.
Then compare to the Robinson, I dont know about anyone else but they seem to be increasing in frequncy at an alarming rate.
I am having a serious issue trying to at least keep some sort open mind towards this a/c.
Well it would be nice to see the outcome of the report but 30 mins after the metar stated overcast at 400 ft, they crashed in to water.
Why would you not put down ASAP and wait it out? Could this not be possible , can the overcast just swallow you instantly like that?
Could have been a mech failure Numerous smaller pieces of helicopter wreckage were recovered from the water, however a majority of the wreckage has not been located would make one think it was all very sudden ( not forced landing due to no vis ).
But also a high speed indicates the pilots either were going for a window in the cloud or simply hit the water ( lost depth reference )...gauges... altimeter, airspeed etc?
Totally disoreintated?
I am just assuming ( yeah I know, making an ass of u and me ) that the little peices is an indication of a high airspeed/groundspeed not a slow one.
If you were in the soup would'nt the airspeed be very low?
Would there still be Numerous small pieces found if forced to settle in water & survival rate be better?
Also...why No flight plan was filed for the cross-country flight?
Should'nt there always be a flight plan filed or was it not required.
I really am looking for some comments/answering not insults.
There was an light fixed that crashed here in the similar circumstances not so long ago, and I am just trying to understand how and why.
Thanks.
HF
Heliport/moderators, if this post is inappropriate no offense willl be taken if you remove it.
The comparison you want made is simple enough:
Just take the scores of flight schools that use Robinsons versus the few that use the S 300. I'd say it is at least a 15 or 20-1 ratio. Maybe more. Robbie's are the hottest selling helis on the planet, and how many 300's did Schwietzer sell in comparison?? Not many. THERE'S your comparison.
If 500 red cars are on the road compared to 20 black cars, in the law of averages what color car is gonna wreck more?
One more thing, I do believe that the R44 has the lowest engine failure rate of any helicopter, ever.