PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Harrier jets under missile attack in Afghanistan
Old 20th Aug 2006, 22:56
QFIhawkman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any chance we can pat backs even more?
Without even acknowledging the ground forces?

This is the prescise reason why the army take the piss out of us...

We are FAR too quick to slap backs on how well we are doing. And not quick enough to ask the guys on the ground "how are WE doing?"

I think if you ask the grunt on the ground, he'll tell you that he would like MORE air support. I've asked them by the way, which is why I'm here... Armchair warrior shouters, go ahead.

I am tending to get the impression that these days, contributors to this forum are too busy slapping backs to think about what may be happening on the ground. Wake up and smell the coffee guys. GO to Afghanistan. GO to Basrah. FOR GOD'S SAKE stop smacking harrier pilot's backs.
YES they do a good job, and so they should.
So do the Herc crews.
So do the C17 crews.
More importantly, so do the Following: The Provisional Reconstruction teams (i.e. Infantry), the Search teams (RAF Regiment and RAF Police), the ground support crews (drivers, fuellers, suppliers, mechs, techs, met, etc etc etc.)
I could... and probably should go on.

These people lay their lives on the line EVERY SINGLE DAY. We forget them at our peril. I've been out on patrol with them, and they do this without your support, without your thanks, and even (most apparently) without your knowledge.

Next time you slap the fly boys on the back for doing a good job, remember that they're not the only ones.

And by the way, for those levelling the hawk "armchair warrior" thing at me, I am an ex 16 Sqn Tornado pilot, Gulf 1 for your info. (Laarbruch 89 - 92). Some of you really need to get your glasses on and stop backslapping so much.

Last I saw, there was no RAF aircraft shot down in Afghanistan or Iraq recently.