PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying a Chipmunk
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2006, 19:44
vulcanpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLOOOOOW with the throttle when bunging on power - otherwise the Gypsy has a habit of getting a bit upset which is not what you want just when you need it

Also if the landing is looking even a bit wonky, chuck it away and go around - certainly untill you get proficient and most definitely if you are landing on tarmac. Bouncing is not good for the old girl.

Try and keep the tail up as long as you can (if you are doing rollers and not 3-pointers) as some aircraft have a nasty habit of shimmying the tailwheel.

And as most have said, the flight isn't over until the engine has stopped & don't be 'bullied' by ATC to expidite a vacate - I did that once and very nearly ended up pointing the wrong way. Remember where the G of G is and that the tail will always want to lead when you are on the ground.

Most of all, have a damned good time flying a real airplane. I still fly a PA28 mostly as the wife really doesn't much like the 'squeezed in' feeling of the back seat of the Chippy, but I have to have a regular fix whenever I can. You won't regret converting to type and whilst it isn't a Spitfire, it still has some solid history in training the elite.