PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airport Security (Merged) - Effects on Crew/Staff
Old 20th Aug 2006, 14:20
chandlers dad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by World of Tweed
Bernouilli - I cannot understand your point of view. Fine, I accept someone may be "turned", but I don't think they'll be using some colgate and a Nokia to carry out their mission. I could be stark b"£$$ock naked in the flight deck and still be a threat.

Unfortunately I believe that where we are now is a untenable security situation that is starting to a commercially impact the viability of air travel to an extent that some airlines are begginning to employ "uncertainty" measures and is threatening the livelyhoods of thousands of British workers.

We have to accept that with any security regime THERE WILL ALWAYS BE A THREAT and if someone really wants to get to an aircraft - put something aboard it THEY WILL GET THROUGH eventually.

These current measures whilst pleasing to the eyes of the public/buraucrats etc.. are really quite dumb.
Totally correct. They can strip search me, do the cavity search and so on, but once I get behind the locked doors in the cockpit I can do what I want. Let the other pilot go on a potty break, lock the door and thats it.

Give me a frigging break that someone is going to "turn" a crewmember. Bernoulli is grasping at straws here. If this is correct, then a policeman could be turned, a fuel tank truck driver could be turned, a ocean going supertanker Captain could be turned. Everyone of them could be turned into a weapon and kill many people but you seem to forget them!

As Wot says, there will always be a threat of some sort. Going after the crew who for decades have not been a problem, is wasted time.

Disagree slightly with Wot on one point, it will get to the point where it will effect the livelyhood of aviation workers WORLDWIDE if it continues the way its going now.

Correct again on your last point, these measures are a kneejerk reaction to a real threat that we all should have been keeping an eye on for years. Those of us who have been in the business for a while know that this is just whitewash to make the public feel better and keep flying. Someday we will be able to stand up and tell the truth, and start working to do the right thing.