PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Passengers getting jittery
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2006, 10:50
hasell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a difficult one. No security system is perfect. Regarding the reactions of pax. Its a natural reaction to be suspicious and have some fear of the percieved/real threat -especially given SOME of the reporting in our papers.
However I shall give you two incidents and let you make up your own minds...

1995, my first assigment from the UK to USA. My two collegues and I. Got to Atlanta and at immigration, I got seperated my two collegues. I think I recall at least two interviews with officials in some side office -followed by a third informal chat with another. Meanwhile the other two are with luggage and waiting and have been wondering where I'd got too. When I finally arrived out and we all met up. I just laughed it off. My point is that profiling in one way shape or form has been around for ages, its an inconvienience but in some way shape or form, necessary at this time. Just bear with it... yes i'm not white or a muslim.

2005, my neighbour -flight deck crew at LHR witnessed an incident. Having completed a flight, he and his crew shared a crew bus with a PIA crew. Whilst waiting to go through the usual security checks. He noticed the behaviour of the staff to the PIA crew. The officials gave the crew of a PIA flight a tough time of it. My friend came away with the perception that members of this crew where being treated harshly. My friend made a good point. So this is a flight crew flying for their national carrier -probably proud to do so. They have landed, parked up the a/c and probably looking forward towards getting out of the airport and to their hotel. Why would the security officials give them a tough time?

Just my 2p worth.