PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Swissair vs. Crossair
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2001, 07:11
Cisco Kid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RAAs 767, good questions ,I am (was )a senior sr captain now laid off at age 52!,luckily found a new( probably better) position.So make sure when you think it canīt happen to you..itīs THE wet dream of all bean counters to make it so; all the regional boys & girls think they have found the holy grail..time will tell !keep the power & remember what we have fought for over the years .Now the numbers- total job losses 400 pilots,approx 160 from the bottom of the list 240 from the top,...nobody wins .Remaining SR pilots about 800,LX pilots probably more; say 1000.Luckily this is new territory for both pilotīs unions -we are talking amateur night-& the seniority lists will become an issue,look forward to a spectacular bun fight,however with the predestined further reduction of both fleets LX & SR & the bizarre inability of the Swiss to manage in a crisis I would expect the cabin crews to shortly begin their MD11 captains courses ,after all itīs cheaper..the answer is who knows !,but there is no way the LX guys will get their hands on a big aeroplane ..why? because training costs too much! unfair but true.Consequently in the end ,missed opportunities all round & a stupid ego trip that missed the point !everyone has been dragged down to the lowest common demoninator i.e LX pay & conditions.This will not happen within an Alliance; but it is a dangerous precedent,& the bean counters have their dreams of īBenchmarksīdonīt let their dreams become reality...Cisco.