PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Organophosphate Poisoning
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2006, 21:33
cogs006

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil Organophosphate Poisoning

I would like to hear from any ground (or former) engineers who are suffering health problems due to tri-crescyl-phosphate/tri-ortho-crescyl-phosphate poisoning. The biggest offender for this is Exxon Mobil Jet Oil II and in the case of hydraulic systems using the mineral oil, Shell H515/OM 15.

It is also in a host of other oils, paints, thinnerssolvents etc.

Symptoms include: Arthralgia (joint aches with no swelling), muscle weakness, constant fatigue or fatigue easily, lethargy, particularly in the morning and energy tends to increase as the days wears on, ongoing headaches (will go away after several months/years), short term memory loss, confusion, inability to concetrate properly or for long, forgetfulness, irritability, dermatitis (not always), sensitised skin, nausea (especially in early weeks of poisoning), heightened sense of smell, multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS-especially to volitiles such as fuels, thinners, solvents etc.), blurred or hard to focus vision, central nervouse system damage (tingling/numbness in toes and fingers).

The most common ways of entry into the body are throgh skin contact and breathing the vapours. It's effects are accumulative and it sits in the fat tissues and the body cannot break it down. Only 5ml of pure TCP/TOCP ingested can be fatal. This is pretty savage stuff.

LATEX GLOVES DO NOT PROTECT AGAINST IT. NITRILE OR PVC ARE THE ONLY BARRIERS.

I hope this gives a clearer picture. I do apologise for my lack of information.

Last edited by cogs006; 31st Aug 2006 at 02:34. Reason: More information requested