PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BE hiring in from abroad?
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2002, 03:42
Raw Data

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fish

I don't think you are too easily swayed or too adamant- you just used an unfortunate phrase or two that, in true PPRuNe fashion, were seized upon and turned into a pointless argument.

Unfortunately, you have done it again in your latest post. MOR did none of the things you accuse him of, he got the facts right in his first post. You possibly mean BIK, who was quite correct w.r.t. the nationalities of the pilots concerned- but said it in a different way.

Similarly, it seems that snooze_ya_lose was the main protagonist in the immigration debate.

This may possibly be the crux of the matter, from an earlier post of yours:

[quote] I feel, however, that any out-of-work Brit pilot should be considered before an Australian. <hr></blockquote>

The point that most of your tormentors seem to be picking up on is that these particular Australians are also EU citizens (as many are), and therefore should really be considered equally with out-of-work Brits.

[quote] If I'm not eligible for a job in this, that or the other country, I don't see why their nationals should be permitted jobs here when there are Brit pilots out of a job. <hr></blockquote>

Same thing applies here, as these particular foreign nationals are also EU nationals, equal in law to your good self, and with as much right to a job here as you. That is the ONLY reason they can come here.

[quote] It would have concerned me less had it been made clear that only EU citizens were being recruited, even on a temporary basis. There is, at least theoretically, a level playing field across the EU. That Ozzies were apparently being taken on raised my hackles. <hr></blockquote>

And again... why should it raise you hackles, these "Ozzies" have the same citizenship and rights as you.

[quote] That these posts appeared on the Parc website does not excuse offering the jobs abroad. <hr></blockquote>

They aren't, they are selecting purely on qualification, one of which happens to be EU citizenship. You could therefore infer that the jobs are only actually on offer to EU nationals, don't you think?

Anyway, reading the quotes above, it is quite easy to see how people could assume you were xenophobic (to be extreme), or that you had a problem with Aussies. I say all the above for your interest, not to provoke another argument.

BTW, and off-topic I know, I hear a rumour that we (BE) have apparently taken a bunch of ex-Gill pilots onto the Dash 8 fleet.

Finally, may I just say the Gill cabin crew that we hired are absolutely excellent.