PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BE hiring in from abroad?
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2002, 01:16
Raw Data

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know, you take a few days without logging on and look what happens!!!

Hate to be boring, but here are the facts.

BE has a short term requirement for CRJ First Officers. This is because the eventual disposition of the fleet is as yet undecided, and it is quite possible that any full-time staff that were hired would be redundant within six months.

BE employed PARC to source the crews. The brief was to, if possible, find EU-domiciled and licenced pilots. Failing that, those with the right to live and work in the EU would be considered.

As no EU pilots came forward (two French pilots expressed interest but didn't continue with the process), those with the right to live and work in the EU (ie EU passport holders in this case) were considered.

The result is that several Australian pilots (all ex-Kendall) were contracted. Although some were Captains, all will be flying as First Officers. These pilots will be granted validations by the CAA.

The company did everything within its power to hire EU residents first, but it appears that there are few CRJ-rated EU folk looking for jobs at present.

It is obviously completely impractical to type-rate people for these jobs, by the time they were rated the contract would be half-over.

Concerning other points raised on this thread, I agree that anybody who is currently unemployed, and is not intimately acquainted with the opportunities available, doesn't deserve a job! These vacancies were advertised by a leading agency, who publish their website and telephone details every week in Flight. I can't think of a single valid reason to not be aware of them!

The nationality debate will never stop, suffice it to say that EU nations are the worst offenders when it comes to protectionism. Australia is a far easier proposition!

I think the penny might have finally dropped with Hugmonster, but if not, you really should listen to what everybody is telling you, old bean. They are right and you are, at best, uncertain of the facts.

Finally, I too believe that the aviation job marketplace should be completely international, with no protectionism permitted by any state. Market forces and all that!