PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BE hiring in from abroad?
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2002, 19:37
HugMonster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote]it would be incorrect to suggest that the UK or EU immigration regulations are any less stringent than the Australian ones<hr></blockquote>I would hope this was the case - thank you for that. There have been several rumours in the past, however, of the rules being relaxed here (some would say over-relaxed). [quote]In particular, and with regard to this case, if you have Australian citizenship, and an Australian passport, then you are free to live and work in Australia without the need to obtain any visas. Just as if you have EU citizenship, and an EU passport, you are free to live and work in any EU country without the need to obtain any visas.<hr></blockquote>Isn't this just a tad obvious? Or, to put it another way, on what basis would an Australian be refused the right to work in Australia? [quote]If I understand you correctly, you seem to infer that because you might not meet the immigration requirements then there is an unfairness in the immigration regulations. I suggest that it would mean nothing more than that one particular individual (you) is not eligible.<hr></blockquote>OK - if you prefer, use any Brit as an example, versus any Ozmate coming over here.

Please don't get me wrong - I'm not opposed to freedom of movement, nor freedom of aircrew to work anywhere they please. But I have heard a lot to suggest that rules are not applied uniformly and evenly across several national boundaries, or, indeed, from one month to the next.

It appears that in the case that started this thread, there is no need for concern. So I wonder exactly what the debate is about, unless I have stirred up a hornet's nest among a lot of Ozmates? Not my intention. I've worked in a lot of areas of the world, and both abroad and here in the UK, I've worked with many nationalities, and all to the improvement of intercultural understanding. But if somebody from St. Helena wanted to work on Ascension Island and couldn't, whilst Ascension Islanders could work on St. Helena while St. Helenans (?) were unemployed, I think you'd agree this was slightly inequitable.