PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - eurofighter
Thread: eurofighter
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2006, 15:09
jindabyne

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I suggest that the Saudis are buying them to save the RAF from having to take delivery of them. Having worked at BAe, in Middle East Military Sales, I can suggest that there is a strong probability that 'contract facilitation fees' - or whatever they are called in 2006, have had as much to do with the purchase, as any actual need for this equipment in the Sandpit

Rubbish, big man! Of course there are agents and commissions, and as you imply, it's a part of big business - any business. It went on in your time, it went on in my time, it still goes on, it always will; and in anticipation, it has nothing to do with so-called slush funds. That agreed(?), your comments concerning the RAF and in-theatre need are way off the mark. But then I seem to recall that you never were a fan of the product.

Slightly off-topic, but it has been mentioned on a different thread and will no doubt surface here, there are very similar parallels that can be drawn between this deal and that of the Tornado, with which I was closely involved at desk level; and IMHO, Lone Kestrel is right on all counts, in particular by implying that the long term benefits outweigh the short term pain - by miles. No doubt those that were caught up in the early 1980s will disagree, and I understand - but the point remains.