PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Loganair
Thread: Loganair
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2006, 14:17
Callsign Kilo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When a bad deal ain't so bad for some

This is all a real shame, it just draws another major disappointment in the airline recruitment industry where the size of the wallet speaks loudest! Living in Glasgow and currently in commercial training myself, I had banked a lot on Loganair and hoped that one day it may provide me with a first job, keeping me in Glasgow where I am married and own property. I probably would have been happy to remain there for quite some time as it kept me close to home.

Now it looks like I may as well forget it. I knew the odds in 'getting in' to Logan were already stacked against me (I am of a modular background), however this current arrangment makes sure that the odds are non-existant!

The thing that really gets my back up (as it has already been stated by others) is that Logan's pound saving exercise will not create a shortage of candidates (especially for those looking for their first job). There is still a lot of people out there who consider money as being 'no object' when it comes to securing the right hand seat. Loganair are banking on this, having it seen work for so many other carriers ie Ryanair etc.

It is a sad state of affairs, but airlines are very lean businesses which I think believe that consistent short term performance is more important than setting up long term objectives? Managers regard crew as just another cog in the wheel that gets the airline through each day. And if they can save money of this cog (or even make money out of it), then they look wonderful! It isn't anything new and so what if it pisses people off! I'm sure they will sleep at night if money is saved, living under the probably accurate assumption that there is always some mug which will come along and pay up 18K in order to work for them!