PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Proposed amendment of the ANO: Mode S
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2006, 22:09
Aunt Rimmer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
... VFR in Class D - I beg to disagree ...

Well, I still don't see why VFR in Class D should require Mode A, S or C.
At the moment Mode A/C is not mandated unless you are above FL100 and in Class A+B ( I think).
I operate out of a Class D airport, generally on VFR standard entry/exit lanes .... wait for it ..... WITHOUT A TRANSPONDER. The aircraft is placarded as VFR only anyway as it only has a Class 2 VOR.
Now, I know most of the ATCOs, I even trained some of them in a past life , and despite the banter (ooh the banter ), I don't think my transponderlessness (copyright that one I think ) has caused any problems whatsoever.
I still need ATC clearance, but sounding (and acting) like a sensible chap and having a good relationship with my friendly ATC provider, they know I ain't going to them about.
Why should I have to have Mode S when for eg. French Eurostars or RAF Tornadoes apparently don't have to? The only difference in ops is that I'm a bit faster and carry 4 pob.
Where is the logic ? Likewise, how is anyone going to know if the height readout is actually correct ? At the moment I have to verify the mode C of EVERY aircraft that I ident. How will anyone know if I have switched it off, or if it is u/s ? Particularly if I am operating out of a field outside CAS when I won't be speaking to anyone. Or even ... flying amongst the hills below radar and radio cover. Who will even see me ? or hear me ?
Once again it would seem that the over-crowded situation in the London area leads to faceless bureaucrats dictating kneejerk measures that are inappropriate outside the flatlands of the SouthEast.
I could go on .... and I will .....but the FM Immune farce was another case. Somebody elses commercial gain (radio stations), paid for by GA having to shelve out £2000 per radio for an upgrade. Same really as GA being squeezed out of regional airports for precious runway slots. Someone elses (RYR, EZY, FlyBe, BAW) commercial gain, GA gets the heave ho.
I thought part of the CAA Pension Funds remit was to support GA, not continually it over with extra costs and diktats. Oh silly me.
Anyway, Beagle, I respectfully amend your suggestion to <edit> also exempt VFR traffic operating in Class D from carrying Mode S, especially if they have a nice paintjob <end.edit>.

PS Anyone planning on going to Barton next week for the CAA 'Open Consultation' ?

Last edited by Aunt Rimmer; 18th Aug 2006 at 23:27.