PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CTC holdpool (ATPers)
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2006, 17:17
Big_Mach

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've just started my type-rating with easyJet three months after finishing the AQC. Some guys started about a month after finishing but the majority have had to wait until now. As I understand it, this is due to the lack of training captains available for line training which, as mentioned above, is problematic to this summer.

I haven't heard of CTC people working in the Ops Dept. I think this is because we are 'employed' by CTC for 6 months after the type rating (not at the start of line training), so from easy's point of view we cost them nothing. However, this leads to us being bottom of the queue when it comes to line training as TRSS and DE pilots get paid from day one. In theory, we could sit around for 5 months and then be line trained before we cost easyJet anything, which explains why it can currently take several months to complete.

With one new aircraft a week, easyJet are crying out for pilots. On the easy induction day, we saw a welcome schedule which showed several pilot intakes a month. Not all of these are CTC, and Wings Cadets would take priority, but figures of 400 pilots a year are being bandied around, so everyone in the holding pool will eventually make it.

As for CTC and its relationship with partner airlines, I haven't heard of AQCers going anywhere other than easyJet (recently). I was offered a place on a jet2 course, but this was rather irregular, and was eventually filled internally by jet2.

Do the AQC as soon as you can. You at least know then whether you make the grade, and you are in the system. Just plan to be waiting for a good couple of months; plan on getting a job which you can leave with minimal notice; plan on having to renew your IR and medical....plan on being patient!