PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Socata Reviews ?
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2006, 15:07
englishal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've flown PA28's, C172s, TB10's and TB20's.

My views are that the TB20 is without doubt the most capable tourer. It is fast, carries well, a joy to fly, VFR or IFR in reasonably bad weather. But it is the most thirsty with its big 250HP engine, requires most maintenance due to wobbly prop and gear, and requires a reasonable runway. I'd love one if I could afford it.

The TB10 is similar in some respects to the TB20, but the main differences are: slower, less thirsty, less performance due to the 180HP engine. Less maintenance costs due to the fixed gear, but it still has a wobbly prop, which doesn't add that much over a fixed prop 180HP aeroplane. Glides like a brick, excellent cross wind performance, I landed one easily with 25 kts across the runway.

PA28's well....depends on what you want. I used to fly the Dakota with a 236HP engine and wobbly prop. That was fun, and it really hoiked you into the air and was pretty quick. The 180HP versions are ok, not stuning performance or stunning short field performance, but reasonably comfortable, will get you there and look nice. Easy and safe to fly, and relatively cheap to run with fixed gear and prop. The 160HP and less are still fun to fly, but less performance obviously and you'll soon reach max weight.

C172's....Ok, pretty much like the PA28's, though I personally don't really like them. They are better for sight seeing and that is about it.

Now, do you really want to fly hard IFR and tour hunderds of miles all the time? If not I would suggest a Socata Rallye as your first aeroplane. I bought a share in one and it is brilliant.

Mine has a 160HP engine, but has better performance than a 160HP PA28. They have automatic leading edge slats so it CAN get you in and out of the really short strips if you want. I've had 4 adults and full fuel in mine and was off the deck in about 200m, gives a duration of 5 or so hours with a reasonable burn (£40 or so per hour covers our fuel and some left in the pot). I cruise comfortably at 90 kts, 95 - 100 if I push it, so not record breaking speed or anything. Very safe, you can stall it and "falling leaf" to the ground at under 1000 fpm. Reasonably comfortable, I'm 185cm tall. Sliding canopy so entry and exit is better than a PA28 and excellent visibility. Fixed gear and prop so cheap to maintain. Aero's approved (or ours is) for basic aero's: spins, stall turns, loops, rolls etc.....Stick as opposed to yoke, which is neither hear nor there, but I prefer it. Good positive response from the controls as well. Ours is FM immune so can be used to fly IFR if wanted.

And the best bit....They are dirt cheap! You have to look carefully at them as many had corrosion problems, but if you got one like I did which is in outstanding condition, you get an awful lot for your money.

One more advantage I have thought of is that it weighs in at 1918lbs. This is good at places like Bournemouth which charge the landing fee based on aircraft weight, with normally a threshold at 2000lbs. I used to get charged £30something in a TB10 at Bournemouth, last time I was there in the Rallye, it cost £15 or so.

Last edited by englishal; 18th Aug 2006 at 15:22.