PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Socata Reviews ?
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2006, 12:19
aluminium persuader

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Piper is very mechanical, the Socata very electric & the Cessna somewhere in between. If your end goal is the Bonanza, I would discount the Cessna for the high wing. I've flown the TB9 with 4 adults in & out of Goodwood in the summer with no problems, although granted it's not long on power.

I would suggest you first look at the limitations of the airfield you will be based at & the likely characteristics of your flying, ie how often will you want to be at MTOW. That may rule an a/c out in itself. Then try to arrange to test-fly each of the types, preferably on the same day & in the manner of the "typical" flight profile. If you'll be 4-up most of the time, test it with 4-up.

I still think the TB9 is most comfy. If I remember it's something like 40" across at shoulder height as opposed to 34" for the PA28. The two doors really is a bonus, believe it or not. Plus, since they open upwards, you can open them in the rain & not end up sitting on a sponge. It's also by far the most modern (& i think best looking) of the trio. Only problem I ever had was losing all the electrics once which meant a non-radio flapless landing. It was at Bounemouth though, so I could have made 3 off the one approach!

TB9 on the downside is probably the most fragile.

Edited to add
What about the Robin 3000? Good perf (130kts) & all you specify. Very nice to fly & like most Robins superb vis. A bit different from the norm with T-tail & teensy winglets!