PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Holiday" (?) in Doha
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2006, 09:45
ExSimGuy

Sims Fly Virtually

Location: Used to be 3rd Sand Dune from the Left - But now I'm somewhere else somewhere else.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Corniche Disruptions

As you may or may not have noticed, contracts finally got signed and the local company got organised, and we have started work.

Working at night and trying to minimize lane closures. (Will mostly be short one-lane closured (outside = "fast" lane! Normally after midnight, for spoil to be loaded onto 20-tonners) Occasional and fairly brief 3-lane closures to move equipment fromone "island" to the next.

Dust clouds are being kept as minimal as possible but beware, especially if you see flashing hazard lights from the grass strip in the middle. Work started a couple of days ago at the Soputh end, and will progressively move North towards the Sheraton - hopefully by Ramadan (when I am booked for a real vacation outside the Mid-East

Night-life? Forget it! In order to avoid the heat of the day, the crew are working from around sun-down until around dawn. I managed to get an evening in the top floor of the Ramada the night I arrived, but since then nights have been taken up with work - even Friday!

Maybe I'll get away for a pint one evening, but doesn't look promising!

Drive safely on the Corniche - the guy trying to cross from the center reservation to the car parking area by the sea side may be me