PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Proposed amendment of the ANO: Mode S
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2006, 08:00
slim_slag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
zkdli, hope you don't think telling you "I never actually said that" is a flame

I am sure the number of reported airproxes would drop if all GA craft had some sort of optional TCAS connected to their mandated mode S transponder, but it would not drop to zero as Table 13 shows.

When the US was mandating Mode S for commercial operations, it looked at mandating mode S in GA flights, but decided not to do it. One of the concerns was 'saturation' of the 1090MHz frequency and swarms of GA planes filling all the displays on the ground and in the air. Any possible frequency saturation must be made considerably worse if GA planes are actively transmitting, which is what happens when you have TCAS on board.

Anyway, this issue is brought up in the Partial RIA, section 3.2.3 (e)
The GA community has raised concerns that widespread equipage of SSR transponders on aircraft that routinely operate in large ‘clusters’ could saturate radars, ATC systems and ACAS.
How has the CAA responded to what sounds like a genuine concern?
The CAA has investigated this issue and conducted modelling for the period up to 2012, which indicates that there should be no significant problems in this regard
2012? As far as 2012? WTF. That's four years after this is all due to start! What happens in 2013? Are they saying they don't know whether the system will be overloaded in 2013? Looks like it to me. What happens then? They say "Further modelling will be conducted", so publish the model and the results and let us comment on that too BEFORE they implement what appears to be an expensive experiment which if it works will only benefit the airlines and ATC.

This partial RIA is a joke, but seems like their mind is made up.