PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's the culture at Cathay like?
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2006, 05:35
hog tied

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Max Reheat
I can categorically tell you (as a training captain) that there is NO policy of discrimination between creed, colour or religion or even ability!...

My experience of exchange crews from our 'special cousins across the pond' is that the system there requires fairy tales to be written or else the reportee is considered a failure.... Hmmm.. this from a training captain who categorically denies discrimination. Look, I know it was a joke, but I have had heard from very reliable sources how some C&T's view yanks in the ranks. I have seen it firsthand. After exchanging pleasantries in dispatch on my very first sector, the trainer remarked "First I will break you of your North Americanisms..." This was before we had even made it to the aircraft. Not really a big deal, but certainly indicative of the strange culture here.

Finally, I unable entertain a train of thought that we should pass everyone in case they are one day involved in an incident, lest we fear the backlash of legal and journalistic action!
I don't think anyone cares much about how a report is written, only whether it says PASS (or not). If it is shot down by the star chamber, then it obviously didn't say PASS, regardless of the words written. Finally I never said everyone should pass, but back to the original question: What is an acceptable command pass rate? This is an important question, since it is the ultimate goal in coming to cx, and certainly something to consider when asking about the culture here.

Those involved in C&T on this board continue to say getting "candidates" through the system is the ultimate goal. Well, how's it going? I am not an insider, but certainly the statistics are easily enough tracked and pretty poor at that. Notice that no one has denied the poor rates, except tough guy ACMS (I'm doing ok on the 777, screw you guys!) As an aside, I've seen more captains fired here than anyone else, just give it a little more time.

Let's say the average first time pass rate sits somewhere between 50-60%, so there's a pretty good chance that the average candidate will put in 3-4 months grinding away in the 'system' (even longer if he is changing aircraft type!), almost totally isolated from family unless they happen to live in HK. They will have put in years of study and made it through all hurdles, including passing an even longer JFO or DE freighter FO conversion, probably a relief command upgrade, and at least 3 -4 graded sim and flying events a year. They have finally gotten the ok from the star chamber, and quite often above their senior mates due to their "suitable record". So nearly half of these people are rewarded with a thumbs down, and thrown back on the heap. Do you really think that knowing the odds most people fail to adequately put in the effort before and during the course? I can tell you very few!

OK, so most will eventually get another go, and miraculously the pass rate goes up a bit, let's even say 70% (probably generous!). I hardly see how , for example, going back to the long haul fleet getting 2-3 sectors a month in the right seat 'sin bin' would make a difference in the quality, experience, outlook, or overall performance in the candidate the next time around, who already has many thousands of hours and probably 20+ years of flying experience, including many years at cx . It sure does seem to make a difference in the perception of the candidate. So, here is a huge group (35% or more of the total pilot group) who had the 'right stuff' all along, yet they have had to share life altering stresses with their families for periods usually amounting to years until cx finally gives the ok. Pretty nice way to treat your employees! Here's a novel idea: spend those 3-4 long months of command training and checking wisely, and get this group of 35% through the FIRST time, along with the usual 50%. I would say a failure rate of even 15% would be excessive, unless there is a severe flaw in the cx hiring system. This is not the case.

There are those who seem to defend this system out of some sort of foolish pride. Yes, a challenge is great, but not when it comes to your livelihood! How many would voluntarily subject your career to danger by seeking out the most difficult doctor they could find just to brag that they passed the astronaut physical to keep on flying? If you want a challenge, do what I do and get into a ring for an occasional fight... take up an extreme sport. I want my livelihood kept simple... show up ready to work, run a safe and efficient operation, treat my fellow employees with respect, and help create the good atmosphere that ultimately drives a profitable airline. Then I want to go home and concentrate on the more important aspects of life. I have had flying jobs that had a much finer line between life and death than this type of flying, and we didn't have to manufacture the artificial difficulty too many people here seem to tolerate. Spare me the "dark and stormy night" references concerning the requirements demanded by a captain at cx. Show me how the cx safety record is statistically better than the average N American carrier that simply grabs the next guy in the seniority chain, trains him to do his job, then lets him alone to get on with it. Sure some fail, but only the few who truly are not capable. Oh, yeah, I forgot how hard droning around the cx network is, according to some of these people. At the end of the day it's really not a great feat safely finding the runway no matter the length of the drone, or the accent of ports on either end. Barring all engines or a wing falling off, 99% of professional pilots will do the right thing when the going gets tough. Its pretty easy to identify those who won't; get rid of them and leave the others alone.

When a guy comes along and asks: Cathay or... FEDEX, UPS, SWA, CAL (insert any hiring airline here) and I say there is no comparison. Period. Cx has never had a seniority furlough, but it's selective permanent furlough is something you will live with for the rest of your career. It will change a person; bow down and graciously massage those above you , and you will probably be ok. Study habits, ability, attitude, and effort have less to do with success than pure luck in who shows up in dispatch on your checkride to discuss the "all important" fuel decision, or even what fleet you land in. If you join on the N American freighter you will have a slightly more difficult challenge than most. Some will hit most wickets here with just the right mixture of luck and timing, and have little trouble with the system; many more will not. Come here and enjoy your job, take your chances. Cx does not suffer fools, but it isn't just the fools who are suffering.

Last edited by hog tied; 18th Aug 2006 at 05:53.