PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas jet collides with baggage trolley in LAX???
Old 17th Aug 2006, 23:07
Spanner Turner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gee, you do have to be accurate here don't you! (and there's nothing wrong with that) I'll add some further for clarification-I hope.
Originally Posted by Taildragger67
But would any old CF6 nose cowl do (eg. off a DC10 or MD11)?
As long as it's an CF6-80C2 it will be compatible. Yes, the nose cowl off a CF6 powered MD-11 is the same. However, when the cowl is fitted to the #1 or #3 position on the MD-11 it is fitted with a 'chine' on both sides of the cowl at the 10 and 2 'o' clock positions. These are easily removed and there you go-bolt straight on. Same engines fitted also to 767's and there has to be stacks of these getting around the skies in the US. Once again when the engine is fitted to a 767 it is fitted with a 'chine' but only on the inboard side.
The same engines are also fitted to A300 and A310 aircraft but not too sure how many of these there are in the states.
If not, doesn't that kind-of limit options given the relatively few CF6-powered 744s based in the US (can't think who runs CF6 744s there - UA are PW, not sure about NW... but maybe raid some spares off non-US CF6 744 carriers' stores at KLAX?)
Yes Taildragger, you are quite correct-there are relatively few CF6 powered 744's in the states although Canadian Air/Air Canada/Canadair (whatever they're called these days) do run a fleet of CF6 powered 744's. I can think of at least one US based operator of CF6-80C2 powered 747's. That is the good old United States Air Force! Have you ever seen those nice skyblue jumbo's that get around with the tail numbers 28000 and 29000? Sometimes you may hear one of them referred to as 'Airforce 1'. I've seen them quite often on the television news - usually with some bloke walking down the stairs who executes a poor salute to the guard when he gets to the bottom and steps onto a red carpet. Not sure who he is but he must be quite high up the food chain to have not one, but two jumbo's at his disposal! These two aircraft are maintained by the 89th Military Airlift Wing at Andrews Airforce Base near Washington and are designated as VC-25A's. Whilst actually based around a 747-200 they are fitted with CF6-80C2's which is the only application of the 80C2 on a -200. With what would seem the unlimited resources allocated to these aircraft I think they would have a spare cowl or two kicking around the hangar that I'm sure if Qantas asked really nicely with sugar on top they could get a lend of!! (tell 'em they're dreaming)
As for lots of RB211s - most 757s have 'em, don't they?
Yes, alot of 757's are fitted with Rollr Royce RB211 engines but these are of the RB211-535 model - a fair bit smaller and thrust of around 40-44,000lbs as opposed to the RB211-524 model (56-58,000lbs) which are fitted to the 744.
P.S. For the record, the aircraft in question was repaired in time and made it back to sydney as scheduled on wednesday morning(16 Aug). The maintenance guys did do the required inspections of the engine and strut as called out in the maint manual "Conditional Inspection-Aircraft Contact with Ground Equipment) This involved the inspection of the strut to wing fuse pins and general inspection of strut/engine. No damage found.
Hope I've got it right - sorry for long post!