PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Limping Grand daughter.
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2006, 22:01
TheFlyingPhysio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mac the Knife
I'm not quite sure why you are so resistant to the idea that physios and other paramedics may succumb to the temptation to step outside their sphere of competence. As I have tried to point out, none of us are immune to this.
Strange thing Mac is I am not resistant. Being a realist I know full well they do.

If you feel constrained by your role, why not study medicine?
Mac, I am not constrained in the least. I am self employed and very happy with my freedoms and professional challenges as a physio so there is no desire to study medicine. However, there is a great desire to aviate and that I am doing as well. Oh for a bit of surfing too !

This is probably a bit unfair, but here goes. Recently I operated a teenage boy from Somewhereovia who had complained of ankle pain after gymnastics practice. Physiotherapy and rest produced some relief and this was continued. After 10 weeks swelling was obvious, a doctor consulted and an X-ray done. This showed an extensive distal tibial osteosarcoma. Despite chemotherapy and surgery he now has disseminated disease and his prognosis is very poor. Would an earlier diagnosis have changed this? Maybe. What price clinical acumen now?
Mac, I would think the above is only unfair in that the boy has not been given a fighting chance for reasons best known to those who treated him. In that sense I share your frustration.

On a postive note, I am glad you have moved on from the Old Kent Road. I was worried by your desire to get your teeth into some rectal bleeding !!

Keep up the good work in your field.