PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2006, 15:00
cazatou

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John Blakeley,

My apologies for the tardy reply. The usual excuse of "House Guests" applies - as it does many times each Summer.

The descriptions you gave of emergencies in a Tornado and a Jaguar do not surprise me. What you described is a QFI dealing singlehandedly with an emergency when the occupant of the other seat is not qualified on type. A totally different scenario from an aircraft flown by 2 fully qualified Pilots carrying a large number of Military and Civilian Passengers on a routine transit between 2 Airfields.

It would have been March 1995 when I first read the BOI, and I can still remember the sense of disbelief at the findings of the Investigative Board. To read that, according to the Board, at waypoint change the Chinook was in cloud and the pilots were not flying in accordance with VFR; and that they then "selected an inappropriate rate of climb to clear the Mull" was bad enough. To then read that, having made that finding, the BOI were unable venture an opinion with regard to "Human Failings" beggared belief.

The BOI did find, however, that "Crew Duty Time" was not a factor as the crew were still inside the twice extended Crew Duty limits when they crashed. No comment was made as to whether sufficient crew duty time remained to complete the task and return to Aldergrove.

It was OC RAF Odiham who made the point that the Passengers were owed a duty of care by the crew, and he reluctantly concluded that Flt Lt Tapper had failed in that duty.

"Want of proper care" is the OED definition of negligence.