PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Search for the UK's most poorly paid PPL instructor
Old 17th Aug 2006, 13:13
bogbeagle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A while back, I posted some information regarding a Status check which is being carried out by HM Revenue and Customs.

The club at which I work (Sherburn), is being assessed by HMRC in order to see whether it is complying with current regulation wrt employment of its flying instructors.

This has been going on for about 18 months, now.

I have been informed by HMRC that I am to be regarded as an employee... as are all of my colleagues. I understand that the club's directors are challenging the assessment that has been made. This means that the case will be presented to a body which is called the Revenue Commission ( I think). The opinion of this Commission is legally enforceable, I understand.

The implications of this decision may well be nation-wide, so it is very important.

I have been put under some pressure to help to make a case FOR self-employment. So far, I have refused. I guess that, when the dust settles, I will find myself a casualty.

I've read the comments which have been posted. It's clear that many instructors are distressed by their working conditions. IMHO, the removal of the "self-employment" loophole would be a major step in advancing the instructors' lot.

At present, there is a complete imbalance of power between the school' owners and the instructors. Often, I think, this leads to exploitation of the latter. This is most certainly my experience.

Further, this imbalance does nothing to promote responsible flying and instruction....at my school, briefings are rare...only Hobbs hours really count. The result is that most students are quite poorly prepared for their Skill Tests, in terms of procedural skills, rather than handling skills. Most of us teach down to a price, I think.

Commercial pressures also are brought to bear upon examiners. One external examiner of my acquaintance was recently collared by the director of a flying club and asked to facilitate the club's flying hours by being more lenient on flight tests. The implication, of course, is that, "if you want to examine here, you'll make sure that our candidates pass their Skill Tests".

BEagle, I am really saddened to hear that you instruct for free, thereby weakening the position of all the instructors who are trying to scratch a living. I'll wager that, when you were sitting on your flight deck, you would have been up in arms had someone offered to do your job for no pay. You could take the money and donate it to a worthy cause, if your conscience troubles you.

bogbeagle