PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Old airfields near Watford
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2006, 12:21
southender

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back in 1958 or 59, I made a marathon one day cycle trip from Ilford, which took in Stapleford, Stansted, Panshanger, Radlett, Hatfield and ended at Luton.

I remember at Panshanger there was an old shed which had a large quantity of old charts scattered about, which my friends and I helped ourselves to, believing them to be remnants from WWII. I seem to recall there was not much activity, but round the back of the airfield there was a blister type hangar with a crop spraying Chipmunk conversion G-APOS outside, which was convenient for photography.

At Radlett, we managed to somehow get down the side of the airfield, where through the fence we were able to photograph a Halifax, which although the undercarriage was lowered appeared to be supported on trestles. Strangely it had one large single fin instead of the two normal with a Halifax. I believe I read something about this aircraft somewhere but cannot recall now. Apart from that the airfield was deserted.

Nothing on view at Hatfield and by the time we got to Luton it was too late for anything but to mount up and cycle home. I recall we did not see an aircraft at Luton either!!

Those were the days.

Cheers

Southender