PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - English exams for PPL's
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2006, 08:54
planeenglish

Take me downwind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear Grey Eagle,

I am working with a non-profit organization and am personally looking into lobbying with IAOPA (if they'll have me) against these standards or such expensive testing for PPLs. Thankfully it seems JAA is doing something about it for Mr. Sunday flier but ICAO won't budge. I am using all my connections and powers to persuade them to help Mr. PPL. They claim that a PPL lost in IMC would need at least level four proficiency to get down and out of trouble. I agree, but there is truth that standards for PPL and the rest of the flying race need to be modified. I'll start a thread on the private flying forum as soon as I have more news.

Also ICAO has not forgotten that the average monolingual Pilot or ATC must also condition their R/T usage and plain language for safet's sake.

I appreciate what you say when you write
Reading your other posts its clear to me that you have the interests of aviation safety through good communications at heart, both for the professional pilot and the 'Sunday Flier'
I have been ridiculed, laughed at and blamed for trying to profit on all of this. Actually, I am considered the Red Cross of the Aviation English world. I've gained very little and given my all in this only for safety's sake. Fortunately, those who criticize me are very few and unimportant. Those who matter, thankfully have noticed and feel with my little voice at the right pitch can have some effect, hopefully positive.

What people don't understand is if we start teaching the English necessary to pilot and navigate in the PPL program these standards will be unnecessary in a few years!

Best to all,
Happy flying and safe landings to all,

PE