PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Defence: Public ignorance, the media, and cutbacks
Old 17th Aug 2006, 07:35
BellEndBob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 'public' are more interested in the price of Gas/Fuel/Groceries and Mortgages so I doubt they even think about what the troops need.
I have never known a time when the Armed Forces were so unpopular or, to be more accurate, regarded as such a low priority.
My own personal theory is that the wars/conflicts we are involved in at the moment are not supported by a significant percentage of the population. The Three Armed Forces of the UK were long held in high regard because of the two World wars, when it was the combined efforts of the RAF/RN/Army plus our allies that kept the invading hordes at bay. Even the Cold War saw us in the role of protector. The Falklands conflict then raised us all to new levels of esteem because we went thousands of miles to liberate our own citizens.
Since then, however, we have become embroiled in conflict in the Middle East and the average Joe on the street sees little benefit for the homeland. In fact, he is seeing spiralling fuel costs, increased terror threats, general panic and erosion of freedoms. The Armed Forces are now seen to be part of that negative process. From protecting our shores we are now seen as instrumental in bringing the problem home through our exploits overseas.
Add on to that ineffective leadership from the top, negative media spin, especially towards the Army, and we have gone from hero to zero.
Therefore, I do not think there is much stomach from the public to support us if it comes to the crunch.
Also, like it or not, when we try to send the message that we are overstretched and yet the Army is still changing the guard at Buckingham Palace, the RAF is still providing 49 aircraft for the Queens Birthday Flypast and we can afford to have a minimum of 9 FJ pilots on permanent display duties, is it any wonder that people on the street can't see the problem?
Before you shoot me down, I am postulating on what I believe to be the problems, they do not necessarily reflect my own views.

One view I do firmly hold though is that the constant sniping at Politicians is a waste of time. Politicians are in their business to gain power and then hold on to it. Therefore it should come as no surprise that they are as slippery as hell and unreliable. When it comes to Defence, like any other areas, they will be advised by the 'experts', in our case the highest ranks in the service. This is where the real weakness and disgrace is, The total lack of backbone and the protectionism displayed by our Starred Officers who would rather target their own Knighthood than the welfare and wellbeing of their respective Forces. Any sackings should be from within their ranks.