PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2006, 07:25
jayteeto

Location: Liverpool based Geordie, so calm down, calm down kidda!!
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Unbelieveable!!!!! I take it that some very recent posters have not operated in the military environment. 1. Yes, you would have to cruise climb many miles before to get to height, that POSSIBLY means they didn't plan to climb, POSSIBLY they screwed up and didn't abort properly, POSSIBLY they were distracted, POSSIBLY etc etc (some doubt there?? mmmmmm) 2. Flight plans are not required, so why would they leave one? 3. The Chinook WAS cleared to fly the trip at height and weather permitting, WOULD have flown it at height. The IMC bit was the problem, not the height. 4. I can only remember a few trips in 15 years when I flew the exact line on my map. In poor weather you work your backside off to go around weather, single or dual pilot. 5. You only left a copy of your route in case they had to come looking for you, it WAS NOT THE LAW!!
Now this does not make me unprofessional, it means I was flexible. I would also like to say that most people did leave maps with the auth, but they didn't have to.
When we all look at how other people do things, we see what we percieve as errors in practices. That is why the military world post people around, fresh faces can cross pollinate good ideas. However, some things are done because although they are not best practice, they work well in the environment and are sufficient. If you want to hang this crew out, fair enough. But do it for the right reasons and do not try to bring them down with excuses that are not actually illegal or incorrect. Think before you post, the boys are not here to defend themselves, you are talking about REAL people who died for gods sake!! Forget ego's and keep this on the track, please.