PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Proposed amendment of the ANO: Mode S
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2006, 20:32
Pitts2112

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Folks,

Another though occurred to me today. Reading the RIA, the underlying message has nothing to do with Mode S, per se. The underlying problem is how to effectively provide safe separation of all the different types of users in the complex airspace of the UK, especially in the context of the projected growth in Commerical Air Transport demand (2-3x by 2030).

Mode S is a classic case of presentation of someone's solution rather than discussion of the problem. Anyone who's ever managed a project or tried to spec an IT system for a client will recognise the symptoms.

I think an effective alternative to Mode S for private aviation would be an open discussion with the representative bodies to address the real separation problem as a wider community so each can express their concerns and put their own ideas on the table, sort of a self-regulation approach, under the control of the DfT or CAA. It would have to be genuine debate and produce results, but my experience in doing this is you get a much stronger solution than by one organisation thinking it knows best for all. You also get much more creative solutions that the one organisation probably couldn't have achieved on their own.

I'm thinking that this proposal to MPs, the CAA, and the DfT, in concert with a robust response to the RIA, may have some mileage. Details need to be fleshed out of course, but this is my thinking so far.

Your thoughts?

Pitts2112